There was some pretty exciting news yesterday with Google IO 2012 being kicked off with the announcement of Android 4.1 JellyBean. There are many improvements made to the look and feel of Android and we are excited to dig in. Find below a brief list of the changes being made and new features being added to entice you to download it.
- Faster, Smoother, More Responsive – Android 4.1 is optimized to deliver Android’s best performance and lowest touch latency, in an effortless, intuitive UI.
- Enhanced Accessibility – New APIs for accessibility services let you handle gestures and manage accessibility focus as the user moves through the on-screen elements and navigation buttons using accessibility gestures, accessories, and other input. The Talkback system and explore-by-touch are redesigned to use accessibility focus for easier use and offer a complete set of APIs for developers.
- Support For International Users – Android 4.1 helps you to reach more users through support for bi-directional text in TextView and EditText elements. Apps can display text or handle text editing in left-to-right or right-to-left scripts. Apps can make use of new Arabic and Hebrew locales and associated fonts.
- Expandable Notifications – Android 4.1 brings a major update to the Android notifications framework. Apps can now display larger, richer notifications to users that can be expanded and collapsed with a pinch. Notifications support new types of content, including photos, have configurable priority, and can even include multiple actions.
- Resizable app widgets – Android 4.1 introduces improved App Widgets that can automatically resize, based on where the user drops them on the home screen, the size to which the user expands them, and the amount of room available on the home screen. New App Widget APIs let you take advantage of this to optimize your app widget content as the size of widgets changes.
Check out Android JellyBean’s official page here and start your drooling! We do not have the video from yesterday but as soon as it becomes available you can find it here. We want to know what you think of all these enhancements added in JellyBean in the comments below! Until the next Android Update, Happy Hacking!